Monday, July 22, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake (using almond extract!)

Strawberries!!!  (Disclosure- this picture was taken last summer.  I didnt have a picture of the shortcake so this will have to do!)


Ingredients:

2/3 cup sugar

1/3 cup shortening ( I didnt measure- I just estimated)

1 egg

1 teaspoon almond extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup milk

ice cream

1-1/2 quarts fresh or frozen strawberries, sliced


Directions


  • In a bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Add egg and almond extract; beat well. Combine dry ingredients and add alternately with milk to the creamed mixture. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan (though I used a round cake pan). Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
  •  Yield: 9 servings


Well, the kids may not have loved the shortcake and strawberries (but they liked the ice cream).  I loved it though (perhaps too much since the scale showed me 2 pounds down today... which seems to give me permission to enjoy a dessert)  Plus- I used to always spend my summers baking with the kids- cookies, cake-pops, scones, etc.  Ive tried to be more cautious but it was time for a delicious summertime treat!  I really felt the almond extract made such a difference.  Mmmm!

(I based my recipe from Taste of Home online)


No comments:

Post a Comment