Saturday, January 17, 2009

Baked Potato Soup


I thought this blog would include my complicated recipes only, but this is a recipe that is good every time and is so easy to make. I was amazed when I would bring this as leftovers to work and people would say- you make soup from scratch? Of course I do! I may not make brownies or cakes from scratch, but I love making soups from scratch. This is especially good on cold winter days when you just want to cuddle up next to the fire!

Ingredients:
about 4 large baking potatoes (i've also used a combination for fun)
2/3 cup of butter (butter is tastier than margarine)
2/3 cup of flour
5 cups of milk (I've always used skim)
1 cup of vegetable broth (or an extra cup of milk)
3/4 t of salt
1/2 t of pepper
4 chopped green onions, divided
12 slices of bacon (I use the already cooked when purchased)
1.5 c sharp cheddar cheese, divided
8 oz sour cream

I chop the potatoes up and leave the peels on. No one has ever complained and it adds to the healthiness. As the potatoes are boiling in water, begin melting the butter in a heavy saucepan over LOW heat. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, cooking over medium heat. The potatoes are done when they have the ability to be mashed. Drain them. I prefer to barely mash the potatoes- leaving most untouched. Add the broth to the potatoes. Mix the potatoes and milk mixture. Add salt, pepper, most of the green onions, bacon, and 1 cup of cheese. Cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in sour cream. Add extra milk or broth, if too thick. Serve topped with remaining onion, bacon, and cheese.

(Please note this picture is not my own!)

No comments:

Post a Comment