Monday, March 29, 2010

Cut-Out Sugar Cookies!

Some of our completed cookies. (Some were decorated by me, others by our talented, creative, still-learning to spread 3 year old)
We had a nice variety of spring colors: orange, yellow, pink, purple, blue, green, white.
The cut-outs before I baked them
As a math teacher, I really tried to be able to put as many cookies on the dough as possible. I admit that I used a fondant roller and just a placemat to roll it out.


Our family loves sugar cookies. It's a tradition for me growing up to mix, roll, cut-out, frost, and decorate Christmas cookies. It's something I enjoy and wish to share with my children. Unfortunately, the Christmas season is very chaotic and busy in our household. Lately my last day of teaching is around the 23rd, and with my husband being a pastor the whole season is filled with duties. I am starting a new tradition- Easter/Spring sugar cookies! Its fun having pastel frosting and all sorts of fun shapes. I am always searching for the best recipe and I may have finally found it! The nice addition is some sour cream. I feel it makes these cookies moister and fluffier. The cookies are not extremely sweet but are the perfect combination when frosted. Enjoy!

Cookies:
3 1/4 c. flour
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/2 c. sour cream

Mix the first 3 ingredients together. Then use a mixer to combine the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Beat 1 min with half the dry ingredients and the sour cream. Then add in the rest of the dry ingredients. Chill for a few hours. Grease cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 6-10 minutes.

Frosting:
1 c. shortening (crisco)
1/2 t salt
1 T vanilla (or almond flavoring)
4 c. powdered sugar
3-5 T. water



1 comment:

  1. That's so funny - the same thing happened to me at Chrismtas too. I even bought a 100-cookie-cutter set with all holiday cutters and everyday cutters and even dinosaurs. I was so excited about using it but the problem I had was finding a good sugar cookie recipe. The ones I've found either roll well and are rock hard and don't taste any good OR they taste fine, but they roll poorly and crumble too much. So I'm looking forward to giving this one a try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete