Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mashmallow Fondant

I used fondant previously to make flowers for cupcakes. I never cared for the taste but LOVED the clean lines and bright colors. I was thankful when my friend recommended this recipe. It tastes delicious and i was able to cover it and decorate it to my liking. (Sorry for the lack of pics of the process of making the fondant. I wasnt very confident that it would work and my hands were very messy!!)














Here is the cake with just the marbeled fondant. I covered the wings and body separately.









16 ounces white mini-marshmallows


2 to 5 tablespoons water


2 pounds icing sugar


1/2 cup Crisco shortening


I followed the directions from the website below. I actually only had 10 ounces of marshmallows so i halved the recipe but still had plenty with some extra left over. I melted the 10 ounces and 2 T of water. I stirred every 30 seconds. I then covered the countertop with some greasy shortening and coated my hands with the shortening. I then added the powdered sugar to the bowl and started kneading it. I continued to add the shortening when it was getting sticky. I continued to knead it and then covered it in plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. The directions said to wait overnight but I didnt. I did have a fondant roller on hand which was beneficial. I split the fondant in half and added enough food coloring and kneaded just enough to make the marble affect. I look forward to using this recipe on all future birthday cakes!!!














No comments:

Post a Comment