So I hereby present to you the best apple pie ever... though unfortunately today I do not get to eat it... read on below to find out why...
2/3 c. sugar
3 T. flour
3/4 t. cinnamon
6 c. apples sliced
1/2 c. butter
1. c. flour
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 9 inch piecrust
Preheat oven to 400
In a small bowl, place the sugar, 3 T. flour, and 3/4 t. cinnamon. Stir and set aside. Measure the apples and sprinkle the sugar mixture over the apples. Toss until coated. Let stand.
In a medium mixing bowl place 1 c. flour, brown sugar and 1/2 t. cinnamon and stir to combine. Cut the butter into 8 pieces and use a pastry blender to cut in butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs.
Spoon the apples into the piecrust. Sprinkle flour mixture over the apples.
Bake the pie for 50-55 min. After 15 min, drop an aluminum cover over the edge. Lay a piece of aluminum foil loosely over the entire pie to prevent overbrowning. After 15 additional min rotate the pied 180 degrees. After 40 min total baking remove the foil. Bake for 10-15 addtl min.
My son was home sick today so I was in the mood to do a little baking in between cuddling and playing with him. I decided I should bake 2 pies for my friends- the ones I dont really hang out with as I much as I wish. My husband had a box of little apples that came from a tree somewhere... so I was determined to put them to good use. I dont have an apple peeler or corer so I just used a knife and I did the best I could...
So, I made three pies, delivered the other two, and put mine in the oven. What happens next is best described on my facebook post...
...you know the moment when you've made your second ever apple pie... and you can't wait to show off its amazingness with vanilla ice cream for dessert... and after working so hard to peel and slice the apples, its finally time to put it in the oven... and that moment that you take the pie out to rotate it the 180 degrees just like your big sister told you to do... and then the moment that it crashes on the floor, spilling its contents and breaking the glass pie pan all over the kitchen floor so now your big toe is bleeding from stepping on glass and your pie is now upside down and probably has millions of shards of glass in it so you cant eat it? Yep- me too. Talk about a bummer.
On a positive note. My kind daughter came out to see why I screamed. (My scream was more of one in pain- like of my heart (or stomach) breaking. She rushed out, saw the situation, grabbed a broom and said, "Dont worry, Mommy. Ive got this taken care of. You get the big pieces and I will sweep up the little pieces. You can always make an apple pie another day." :)
So there you have it. I havent actually eaten this pie- though I did enjoy one my sister made a few years ago. She is promising to deliver one... but I said I wanted it warm and with vanilla ice cream.
Words of wisdom- put the pie on a cookie sheet BEFORE it gets too hot so it doesnt crash to the ground and ruin your pie! :)
My son was home sick today so I was in the mood to do a little baking in between cuddling and playing with him. I decided I should bake 2 pies for my friends- the ones I dont really hang out with as I much as I wish. My husband had a box of little apples that came from a tree somewhere... so I was determined to put them to good use. I dont have an apple peeler or corer so I just used a knife and I did the best I could...
So, I made three pies, delivered the other two, and put mine in the oven. What happens next is best described on my facebook post...
...you know the moment when you've made your second ever apple pie... and you can't wait to show off its amazingness with vanilla ice cream for dessert... and after working so hard to peel and slice the apples, its finally time to put it in the oven... and that moment that you take the pie out to rotate it the 180 degrees just like your big sister told you to do... and then the moment that it crashes on the floor, spilling its contents and breaking the glass pie pan all over the kitchen floor so now your big toe is bleeding from stepping on glass and your pie is now upside down and probably has millions of shards of glass in it so you cant eat it? Yep- me too. Talk about a bummer.
On a positive note. My kind daughter came out to see why I screamed. (My scream was more of one in pain- like of my heart (or stomach) breaking. She rushed out, saw the situation, grabbed a broom and said, "Dont worry, Mommy. Ive got this taken care of. You get the big pieces and I will sweep up the little pieces. You can always make an apple pie another day." :)
So there you have it. I havent actually eaten this pie- though I did enjoy one my sister made a few years ago. She is promising to deliver one... but I said I wanted it warm and with vanilla ice cream.
Words of wisdom- put the pie on a cookie sheet BEFORE it gets too hot so it doesnt crash to the ground and ruin your pie! :)



No comments:
Post a Comment