Wednesday, October 9, 2013
My Mom's Granola
When I think of homemade granola my mind travels to our many family vacations as a kid... often spent in our pop up (or fold down as some call it) Coleman camper. It seemed a tradition that when we would go on a camping trip, my mom would make a MONSTER batch of homemade granola. I am not sure that I ever ate it at home at the kitchen table- but certainly sitting at many a picnic table at a campground.
I have found a granola that I LOVE but when I came across an envelope of recipes given to me at my bridal shower, I thought I better make my mom's granola for the first time.
Here is her recipe:
1/3 cup of butter or margarine (I used butter of course!)
3 T honey ( I used Iowa honey- just so you know!)
2 c. of quick oatmeal (I actually used old fashioned- its what I had on hand it and it tastes great!)
2/3 cup of shredded coconut
3/4 c slivered almonds
1/3 c. wheat germ
some sunflower nuts (I found some that were honey roasted!)
some brown sugar (I didnt measure this and the recipe didnt say either- good luck!)
In a small bowl stir together melted butter and honey.
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients together. Pour honey mixture over and mix well. Spread mixture into well-greased baking pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 for 20 min. Cool and store in air tight container.
I wish I could include a picture of my sister and I sitting at a picnic table- perhaps by the Rocky Mountains or somewhere in Vermont- but digital pictures were unheard of then. So- do your best to picture us with big perms and totally 80s/90s outfits! :)
I hope you enjoy the granola!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment