Saturday, October 3, 2009

Concord Grape Pie

Well- what do you do with a mound of home-grown Concord grapes given to you by a church member? My husband tried one and said it was quite sour. I searched recipes online and found one for a Grape Pie. The idea intrigued me. Who would have thought you could make a pie with grapes? Thankfully I was able to do this with some help from my 3 year old!



First we had to remove the peel from the grapes. The idea terrified me but thankfully I read that you could just pop them out of their peels. Sure enough- even my daughter could do it (and she had so much fun doing it too!)
Then we had to cook the grapes so they would sort of open up and the seeds could pop out.
I then used this strainer like thing and poured the mixture in. It took less than four minutes to remove all the seeds!I struggled with the idea of putting the peels back in. That is what the directions claimed to do so I did it. I sure hope it tastes great! Its baking right now!

INGREDIENTS

  • 4 cups Concord grapes
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 (9 inch) pie shell ( I made my own crust)

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. Squeeze the pulp out the skins into a saucepan, saving the skins in a bowl.
  3. Cook the pulp in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the seeds are beginning to come out.
  4. Strain the pulp into the skins, using a spoon to rub the pulp off the seeds. Add sugar, flour and lemon juice.
  5. Pour into an unbaked 9 inch pie crust and make a lattice top.
  6. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for about 50 minutes. This pie may run over so put a piece of foil under it to catch the drips.
My overall verdict-
I enjoyed the pie and thought it tasted great. It really made me feel like I was experiencing Holy Communion. My daughter and husband loved it. I will gladly eat someone's grape pie but am in no hurry to make it again just because of the work involved. Give it a try- let me know how it turned out!



No comments:

Post a Comment