Friday, January 1, 2010

Almond Poppyseed Bread





This is another family favorite. I have memories of my sister making this for the 4H county fair and hearing the judge say that if she was just 2 years older it would have qualified for the state fair. Since you can't take the same recipe more than one year, I waited until I was old enough to take things to the state fair and then I entered it- but didn't get qualified for the Iowa State Fair. Apparently I did better at making clothes and constructing things with wood.



This year, I decided to search for the family recipe. Much to my surprise, I found it online at Taste of Home. Anyway, this made wonderful gifts for Sunday School teachers, daycare providers, dance teachers, and neighbors. When I made these for gifts I bought disposable tin mini loaf pans. I was excited that you can just wash them and reuse them! For Christmas, my wonderful in-laws bought me some real Wilton ones. I received many compliments on the flavor and moistness- I hope you give it a try and leave a comment about your results. (Of my 19 posts, I have only received 3 comments total... :( ) Good thing I'm blogging to organize my recipes- not to receive feedback!






Ingredients





  • 2-1/4 cups sugar


  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil


  • 3 eggs


  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds


  • 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice


  • 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract


  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


  • 3 cups all-purpose flour


  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder


  • 1 teaspoon salt


  • 1-1/2 cups 2% milk


  • GLAZE:


  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar


  • 1/4 cup orange juice


  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract


  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract


Directions





  • In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, poppy seeds, lemon juice and extracts; beat until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating just until moistened.


  • Pour into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. (Or I used 6 mini loaf pans that I was able to put about 1.5 cups of batter into each one) Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes for large loaves or 35-40 minutes for mini loafs, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.


  • Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm loaves. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.

3 comments:

  1. As soon as I find some mini loaf pans I am making this! It looks amazing. I love your blogs! - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    So I made this Sunday night...I made 3 mini loafs and 1 big loaf..it tastes wonderful and Avrie thinks it is really tasty too. The only thing was...you said you put about 3 cups of batter into a mini loaf pan..I don't know if mine are extra mini, but there is no way 3 cups will fit into a mini pan. I put maybe 1 1/4 cups per mini? I'm going to take the mini loafs all sliced up to my scrapbooking club on Thursday..with some whip cream and tada..dessert!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us! - Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm- I will have to look into it again- perhaps I did 3 measuring 1/2 cups... :)

    ReplyDelete