Now that my most recent post was called "Better Than Thin Mint Cake" and included an entire can of sweetened condensed milk, I think I should also spend a little time writing about the healthier side of our lifestyle.
Last year on Christmas Day my husband decided to eat healthy, exercise, and follow the Daniel Plan (by Saddleback Church). I was curious what it would be like- I have tried South Beach Diet, 17 Day Diet, even a 4 day diet that included ice cream, and even juicing. Still, nothing stuck- except the weight that always returned. I was excited that my husband had discovered The Daniel Plan and I was ready to jump on board. I still remember watching a video of me at a school pep assembly. Teachers were playing tug of war and I honestly did not recognize who I was- there was NO WAY that was me. (Sure- it was six months AFTER my son was born... but I was still surprised by it- yet did really nothing about it).
Here is what I loved: 1) the food was filling, satisfying, and quite tasty! I wasnt hungry or really wanting anything. 2) the meals were balanced and focused on eating real food- not processed stuff. 3) exercising has really brought our family together- bicycling, running/walking, swimming at the YMCA.
Now- you need to know that this worked for us. We followed the plan and Andy and I supported eachother when we wanted to quit. We also encouraged eachother when we were tired. We also celebrated as the pounds came off. There were plenty of disappointing and frustrating times- as with any change. Also- we totally get that everyone makes their own choices. Perhaps those who are interested will say, "I cant do that" or "I dont want to do that" or "My family wont eat that- I dont want to make special meals just for me." And that is something that will have to be considered.
We are offering The Daniel Plan at our church- meeting Saturday mornings for 7 weeks. Now that we have been doing this plan for over a year (my husband lost 100 pounds and I have lost 30 pounds), I am more focused on the exercise goals. I will repost a paper my husband made of the Dos and Dont's to help people who are just getting started. (I tried to copy paste but no luck- I will put the condensed version here)
1. Exercise for a half hour 3-4 times a week.
2. Dont eat after 8:30pm
3. Do track your calories (suggestion: myfitnesspal.com)
4. Don't drink regular soda- avoid diet soda if you can
5.Do weigh yourself same time 2-3 times a week
6. Dont get discouraged!
7. Do eat 3 meals a day (breakfast- even a small one is important!)
8. Dont take a diet pill
9. Do ask for God's help. God is our sustainer and guide in life.
10. Dont go it alone- get support!
My next post I will list some breakfast options that I do.
Monday, January 20, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment